Tuesday 30 October 2012

65 and 60


Ten years. Time spent waiting for the jeepney bound for España to take off.

Not today. Since it's a little early in the morning and a school/work day, I was confident to board the jeep exactly 10 minutes before the time I have to be at UST (travel time from Tayuman to UST usually takes 5-10 minutes).

Totally a fool of me to think like that. The jeepney was almost full when an aged and weighty lady tried to get in the jeep. It was taking her forever. I almost thought of walking to UST instead.

Minutes had passed. With the help of almost all the passengers in the jeep, she was at last seated inside. I could hear her breathe heavily, as if she ran ninety-nine miles to get to where she is now. The lady in sneakers sitting between me and the old, fat lady spoke to her.

Lady in sneakers: How old are you?
Fat lady: I'm 60.
Lady in sneakers: I'm 65.

Everybody's eyes were thrown to the lady in sneakers. Even mine own eyes. I could not comprehend what my senses are perceiving at that moment. She doesn't look 65 at all! But everybody had the same reaction.

Fat lady: I already had a stroke. I also have diabetes.
Lady in sneakers: I guess it's in the salt you use. Don't use iodized salt. Don't believe in the lies of DOH. Rock salt is a lot better for your health...

Then she had this whole lecture on salt. I don't know why she had to emphasize the use of rock salt that much, but that shows her big concern on health habits and lifestyle. My destination was not very far so I wasn't able to hear what else she talked about. However, what I saw and heard was already enough living proof of how the body's age is just a number. It's what you do to your body, to your life, that intensifies the "age" of your body.

We all have a choice to let our body age gracefully, or wastefully.

Now tell me, how "old" would you want your body to be, 65 or 60? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment